Office of the Accessibility Porter
Types of Accessibility
Questions and Answers
Definitions of Terms
The Courtesy of Accessibility
Courtesy and Chivalry are the hallmarks of the Society for Creative Anachronism.
One element of chivalry and courtesy is helping other SCAdians participate
when physical limitations might otherwise impede them.
The job of the office of the Accessibility Porter is to help and educate
SCAdians in working around Accessibility and disability issues. The Accessibility
Porter can help with questions such as:
Accessibility issues include:
- How can we make our events more accessible generally?
- How can we help someone with accessibility issues attend and
enjoy our events?
- Is this event site accessible?
- I have accessibility issues, how can I request assistance with
- Where can I find resources on accessibility issues, especially
as they affect the SCA?
Accessibility issues can be temporary or permanent. (If you can't climb
stairs because of a bad knee or a sprain, it's still an accessibility issue!)
- Mobility (walking, wheelchairs, steps, etc.)
- Medical issues
- Assistance Animals
Working together, we can assist each other to enjoy the SCA.
In fact, we already do it, when:
- Someone with visual problems recieves their AoA Scroll in Braille
- Court includes a sign language interpreting herald
- The King tells someone with bad knees not to kneel
- Autocrats order handicapped portajohns for people with mobility
issues (and those wearing hoop skirts)
- Someone with an assistance dog attends an event
- The cook posts his/her recipes for the benefit of those with
- Friends and chirurgeons are aware of a diabetic's needs.
- People carry or help a friend with walking problems up or down
- Camping events offer an electrical outlet for charging CPAP batteries
The accessibility porter's office is here to provide resources to help those
with issues and seneschals, autocrats and other SCAdians work together. Please
contact me if you have questions!
[Please be patient: this website is under construction!]
The Responsibilities of the Accessibility Porter (from East
- Encourages those groups and/or autocrats who consistently
choose handicapped accessible sites, or who try to make their sites more accessible.
- Educates the populace of the East regarding the barriers
that detract from the enjoyment of the activities of the Kingdom by gentles
with disabilities, or which prevent these gentles from attending events at
- Acts as a clearinghouse for information on disability
- Acts as liaison between members of the populace with
disabilities and autocrat staff of events, upon request.
- Connects those who need special services with those
who can provide them.
- Devises new ways to make reasonable accommodations
for gentles with disabilities.
- Is responsible to the Kingdom Seneschal.
is the recognized Web Page for the Accessibility Porter of the East Kingdom
of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. and is maintained by: Jadwiga
Zajaczkowa This site may contain electronic versions of policy and governing
documents. Any discrepancies between the electronic version of any information
on this site and the printed version that is available from the originating
office will be decided in favor of the printed version.
Copyright 2004 East Kingdom of the SCA. The original contributors retain the
copyright of certain portions of this site.
For information on using photographs, articles, or artwork from this website,
please contact the web minister Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
She will assist you in contacting the original creator of the piece. Please
respect the legal rights
of our contributors.